I followed (vaguely) some instructions for creating your own light box today. Basically, I cut out the sides of a box, covered them in tissue paper, and inserted a piece of white cardboard for a backdrop. I still need to play with it, but I’m very pleased.
At first, I didn’t have the top hole cut large enough and I couldn’t get enough light in the front:
So I cut the hole bigger:
Which is a fantastic improvement. But when I brought the photos into Photoshop, there’s still a huge gap in the white balance. I definitely need a second light, but I couldn’t find one anywhere in the house that I was willing to unplug. I guess it’s off to Zellers today!
I also took some photos of the Labradorite pendant I made in the same style. One in the light box, looking very bland:
And one in my hand under a direct light to show the brilliance of the labradorescence (the top flash actually gets redder in certain light:
I don’t think I could love these two pendants more. Also new on the worktable recently: Crowns! Ok, just one for now, but the second one is already better than the first. This one isn’t really great, but I learned a lot from it and it’s pretty cute.