I periodically create wire-wrap tutorials for youtube.com. I have a full-length video class called Organic Wire-Wrapped Pendants at Bluprint. You can purchase downloadable tutorials at Etsy or Bluprint. In 2014, the video below prompted the craft publisher Interweave to reach out to me, and I later published a book called Freeform Wire Art Jewelry. Interweave has since been acquired by Penguin Random House.
Without a doubt, writing how-to tutorials is what I’m best at. When I was ten, I wrote out the instructions to create a cat sculpture using a cardboard tube and pipe cleaners!
Since then, I’ve gotten some slightly more impressive credentials :)
- I’m a self-taught wire artist, since 1998, so I know what it’s like to struggle with a new technique or to work without special tools, and you’ll find workarounds in my tutorials.
- Since nobody was teaching when I was learning, I had to invent something new every time I was solving a problem – so you’ll find many of my techniques are different from the usual!
- I have a BA in English from CBU, so (hopefully) there aren’t any typos or grammatical errors that will confuse your learning. I’m also trained in educational pedagogy.
- I was an instructor for an online private career college in Canada, writing course curriculum and providing tutorial assistance for online, adult learners since 1999, so I know where you might get lost – and how to avoid it!
- You’ll find my tutorials have clear, concise, accurate instructions with photos for every step – even partial steps. I know how to teach you no matter how you learn best!
- I make jewellery to sell – and I sell a lot of it – so many of my techniques are designed to efficiently put into production, leading to tutorial stages which you can easily follow.
- That instructing I do? It’s for web and graphic design, so you’ll find a consistent, readable layout on every page, photos that draw your focus to the relevant step, and constant clues to keep your place – even if you forget to staple your printout and the whole thing falls apart!
- In 2014, I was approached by f+w / Interweave to write a jewelry how-to book, based on my existing online offerings. After publishing in 2015, it has sold over 15,000 copies so far. In 2015, I published an online video class with Craftsy.com.
All of this is to reassure you that you can feel safe with me. I take your jewellery education seriously, and it is important to me that you can become comfortable with wire, clay, design, and – possibly the biggest thing – beauty in imperfection.